Friday 27 January 2012

Silk Flowers (Red Tulips)

Hello there and welcome to another floral Friday. Today's display is one of my favourites but I might have said that about another display as I am obsessed with arranging silk flowers.

The arrangement below has 40 silk red tulips and 24 hypericum stems with bright red berries to match the frilly tulips.

Lella Loves... Silk Flowers

I have arranged my tulips and hypericum in a heavy glazed planter simply because I like the drippy, two-tone glazes used on Japanese garden pots.

Red tulips are fabulous and if you are not a silk flower fan, you can buy fresh in most supermarkets. I saw a bunch of 7 red tulips last week for £4. Change the water and trim the stems by half an inch every day and your fresh flowers will last a week.

However, if you wanted to create a similar display to mine, using all everlasting plants, you will need:

Lella Loves... Silk Flowers

40 silk Parrot tulips

Lella Loves... Silk Flowers

24 Hypericum stems

Lella Loves... Silk Flowers

A frost-proof garden pot is a good investment as they won't topple and you can always use them in the garden if you get bored with your display.

Lella Loves... Silk Flowers

Choose a garden planter, one which is an inch thick and glazed, if you like a heavy pot.

Lella Loves... Silk Flowers

Place all your stems together and trim the stems if needed. Some fake flowers come with a 30 inch stem so cut them back so they are one and a half times the height of your chosen planter.

*Tip: If your pot is 12 inches tall, trim your 30 inch stems to 18-24 inches. It is good to leave a few tall ones.

Lella Loves... Silk Flowers

Start your arrangement by adding one berry stem and then two tulips.

Lella Loves... Silk Flowers

Keep on building your display and just remember the one for you, two for me saying. Add one hypericum stem per two tulips and keep on layering.

Lella Loves... Silk Flowers

I have used hypericum berries to add dimension and they give the display a depth of texture. By adding a few very tall stems in between the nearly-finished display, you are able to add height but not heaviness.

Lella Loves... Silk Flowers

One of my finishing hints is to look down right above your display. The arrangement should look like a bouquet and have that 'just picked' feeling to it.

Lella Loves... Silk Flowers

Your finished planter should look something like this. I have left 7 of the hypericum stems a few inches longer than the rest as I like to add height using the chosen greenery. It reminds me of flag-planting in deep garden borders. Having taller plants in front of smaller shrubs draws the eye back and I love implementing that into my silk flower arrangements.

Have a lovely weekend and do please leave a comment if you love silk flowers. I am available for indoor commissions and I am happy to travel.

Lella  xx

http://lellalovescreativity.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lella Loves... Books

All books are free postage and are shipped from Amazon UK.

Click on any book to see price and availability.

Usually delivered within 48 hours.

More books to browse