Sunday 29 January 2012

Simple Pleasures (Gathering Leaves)

I have to say that I really enjoyed the hour spent gathering leaves. Mother Nature had blown them into huge banks against the fence, and the rain had made them a bit slippery, so I thought it was time to do something about it.

Lella Loves... Sundays

Mr Lella is not really the gardening sort so I don't worry if he doesn't offer to do it. If he did, I think I might pull up a deck chair and watch :)

Lella Loves... Sundays

My task was made easier with these fabulous leaf grabbers; huge yellow plastic mittens which pick up a bucketful of leaves which each scoop. Costing £7.99, they saved me a lot of time.

Lella Loves... Sundays

It is very satisfying to see my recycling bin filled to the brim.

Lella Loves... Sundays

If you love your garden and you have the space, place all your wet leaves into black bin liners and pile them up, out of sight until next summertime. What you will have, instead of soggy leaves, is the most amazing composted leaf mould - also called soil!  It is super-rich in nutrients and organic matter and it will go far if you add potting compost and some sand to create your own planting mixture.

In my photo, that pile of leaves has already started to decompose. The black stuff you can see is homemade compost, made in-situ as I had not gathered leaves from this section of path for 6 months.

Oooh... and whilst I was out in the garden, I noticed all the daffodils are pushing up. Their stem growth is looking good and I hope yours are too.

Lella  xx

http://lellalovescreativity.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lella Loves... Books

All books are free postage and are shipped from Amazon UK.

Click on any book to see price and availability.

Usually delivered within 48 hours.

More books to browse