Wednesday 28 September 2011

Vintage Ice Cream Maker

If you love old kitchen equipment and you don't mind plenty of elbow grease, finds like this are for you and me alike.

It is a Swedish 2 Quarts ice cream churn. At first I thought it might be a variation of a butter churn but I couldn't open the hinge no matter how much I tried.

However, a FaceBook friend said it might be an ice cream maker as she had something similar so back to the churn I went. I wiggled and wiggled, finally managing to open the hinge. Inside is a canister and two slimline paddles so she was spot on! (Thanks, Dawn :)

Lella Loves... Kitchenalia

Farm fresh to fabulous in two hours!  (Well... the actual polishing took 2 hours plus two cups of tea but I let it sit in the porch for two days so all the bugs could escape before I started working on it.)

Lella Loves... Kitchenalia

This was the condition I found it in. I paid £20 after some haggling but I know a flea market bargain when I see one.

Lella Loves... Kitchenalia

The pigeon poop and the cobwebs were free :)

Lella Loves... Kitchenalia

A little bit of damage is to be expected and it doesn't bother me as I love things which have had a life before me.

Lella Loves... Supplies

Gathering all my supplies together before I start the restoration.

Lella Loves... Restoration Projects

*Tip: Always apply black grate polish with a damp cloth. It works wonders on any piece of rusty metal.

Lella Loves... Kitchenalia

Gloves on and I start to rub on the grate polish. I wrapped the damp piece of towelling around my finger and I got in to all the nooks and crannies using a small brush.

Lella Loves... Kitchenalia

Metalwork complete, I started on the wooden parts. 

The coopered barrel was first and I used a dark wood polish which contained linseed oil to help feed the very dry wood.

Lella Loves... Kitchenalia

Ta-dah!

My lovely churn all finished and looking delicious.
I am really pleased how it turned out and I enjoyed the restoration. All I need to do now is find the right place to display it.

I do hope you had fun following my blog today. Pop back soon.

Lella  xx

http://lellalovescreativity.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about worries that they just don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Lella Loves... Books

All books are free postage and are shipped from Amazon UK.

Click on any book to see price and availability.

Usually delivered within 48 hours.

More books to browse