Friday 12 August 2011

Silk Flowers (Posies)

Today's project is an easy, how to arrange silk flowers explanation. I hope to share my passion for silk flowers, everlasting blooms and all things floral with you every week. 

Here is an easy and good value display of mixed ranunculus. They were the bargain-hunter price of £2.99 per posy. I bought 5 from a garden centre with a large gift department and an extensive silk flower section but try looking in Dunelm or Hobby Craft. Both of those retailers never cease to amaze me with their great value pricing and their stock levels.

Lella Loves... Silk Flowers

If you are interested in silk flowers but you buy them, get them home and then think, "Oh... What do I do now?", I assure you that you are not alone. Many people see swathes of silk blooms and tubs of tall grasses whilst out shopping but, once bought, are not sure how to display them.


I would like to share with you - today, and every Friday - a different arrangement from my collection. From now on, I shall call it Floral Friday. (I like the sound of that and, at least, it will give me an excuse to buy more flowers.)


The great thing is when buying silk flowers like these is that all the foliage and greenery is there for you. You do not have to make any other decisions aside from chosing your planter. 

If you didn't want to use a glass vase, think about using an unusual container where possible. In this little display I have chosen to plant up in an old Hovis tin.


Lella Loves... Silk Flowers


I started with the empty tin and I placed a posy in each of the front corners, one in the centre front and then two at the middle back.  If you picture the Olympic rings, use that formation in reverse as a guide as it offers perfect symmetry for 5 posies.

The best way to secure these posy stems, and to stop them from moving, is to use either dry Oasis and then cover the top of the container with moss or to use shingle. In some displays, where the top of the container is visible, I have previously used moss but in this little display I chose to use jet black marbles. 


Lella Loves... Silk Flowers


If you would like to create an arrangement like this, you will need:
5 floral posies of your choice
Container
Something to secure the stems with such as pebbles or Oasis.

*Tip: Always buy in odd numbers.  5 or 7 stems is the norm. I think that once you get past 15 stems in a display such as a bucket of tulips, I then wouldn't worry about numbers.


Lella Loves... Silk Flowers

I do hope you enjoyed this little project and, if so, you can see all my photos in my Flickr photostream.


Please feel free to leave a comment.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Love today's idea - great for Mother's Day or presents.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete

Lella Loves... Books

All books are free postage and are shipped from Amazon UK.

Click on any book to see price and availability.

Usually delivered within 48 hours.

More books to browse