Saturday 8 October 2011

Old Children's Books

I love old children's books. This delightful book is an early Rupert The Bear annual and I bought it with the intention of cutting it up!  (I think I just heard a few gasps!)

Lella Loves... Old Children's Books

The Rupert annual is from just after the second world war c1946 and was at a table-top book sale for £10. The colours are so bright and I adore all the little images. They would look lovely framed up as individual pages.

Lella Loves... Old Children's Books

However, all that changed whilst watching Wednesday's 'The Antiques Road Trip' on BBC1. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw Charlie Ross haggling over a similar Rupert The Bear annual from the same time - c1946/1947.

The dealer said that the retail price on his Rupert annual was £105.

Lella Loves... Old Children's Books

I am now rethinking about cutting it up for decoupage. I can't bring myself to do it as this annual might be a collector's dream find.

Lella Loves... Old Children's Books

The inside front cover has a lovely piece of text, reminding us that after the war the book was produced in line with the economy standards in force at the time.

*******

Another book I picked up last month is the Noddy book.

Lella Loves... Old Children's Books

This is a much later publication and is most probably c1977.

Lella Loves... Old Children's Books

On further inspection, this book is also just too lovely to cut up.

Lella Loves... Old Children's Books

The colours are incredible and would make very pretty toy box liners. But, alas! I cannot bring myself to take scissors to either book.

Lella Loves... Old Children's Books

Have a lovely weekend and don't worry, I promise not to cut them up.

If you have any interesting information on Rupert annuals, please do leave me a comment as knowledge is no use unless it is shared. I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Lella xx

http://lellalovescreativity.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lella Loves... Books

All books are free postage and are shipped from Amazon UK.

Click on any book to see price and availability.

Usually delivered within 48 hours.

More books to browse